Pigeon Peg lentils or Tuvar Dal- 1/2 Cup
Water – 2 cup
Ghee or Butter- 3 tbsp
Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
Asafoetida or Hing- 1/4 tsp
Green chili- 2 finely chopped
Ginger garlic paste- 1 tsp
Onion- 1 medium size chopped
Tomato- 2 small size chopped
Red chili powder- 1 tsp
Turmeric- 1 tsp
Garam masala- 1/2 tsp
Salt- as per taste
Green coriander leaves- 2 tbsp chopped
How to make Dal fry:
- Wash tuvar dal in water two to three time.
- Add 2 cup of water and tuvar dal, pressure cook it for 2 whistle on high flame and one whistle on low flame. (or cook until dal cooked completed)
- Heat ghee in a pan and add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add chopped green chili and hing fry them for a second on low flame.
- Add chopped onion and saute them until golden brown in color.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry it for a second.
- Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, red chili powder and salt. Cook it for 5-6 mins on low flame or until tomatoes become soft.
- Add cooked tuvar dal in this mixture, you can add more water if the consistency of dal is very thick.
- Cook dal on high flame until it starts boiling, switch off the flame.
- Garnish with chopped green coriander leaves. Dal Fry is ready to serve.